While at my parents house I was having a major sweet tooth attack and after the beast in me tore apart the entire house only to find some Andes mints put aside for my grandfather, I decided to take matters into my own hands. After devouring a few of those Andes mints, (sorry Grandpa, I will replace) I had a craving for mint and whipped these peppermint patties up and was enjoying them before dinner. Oops.
They are EASY to make and my whole family enjoys these.
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 TB peppermint extract
5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2-3 TB shortening (optional)
1. Mix the sweetened condensed milk, peppermint and half of the powdered sugar together in a mixing bowl. Slowly add the rest of the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough is firm but still pliable.
2. Roll dough into 1″ balls and then slightly flatten to make little patties.
3. Place on a wax or parchment paper lined plate and place in the freezer for 30-45 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in either a double boiler or in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second intervals, stirring in-between. If you need to thin the chocolate, add in the shortening.
4. Remove patties from the freezer and dip into the melted chocolate with a fork, tapping off the excess before placing on wax or parchment paper.
5. Allow to cool completely. For faster results, place in the fridge or freezer. My favorite being the freezer.